N. B. Goodwyn & Sons comes from a long line of family business starting with Nathaniel Boswell Goodwyn; who ran a general store in 1920 out of Richmond before moving to Chesterfield. His sons, Jim and Charlie Goodwyn, later joined the business and in 1938 started the lumber yard at Chesterfield Courthouse.
In 1951, Nathaniel's daughter, Annie May Goodwyn, came to work as a secretary and bookkeeper after losing her husband, Russow Rudolph Beck. As the years passed, she bought the company from her brothers and in 1959, Annie became sole owner of N. B. Goodwyn & Sons .
Under Annie's leadership, the business thrived and her three sons; Russow Jr., James, and Maurice Goodwyn came to work for her. Her sons have since retired and N. B. Goodwyn & Sons is now operated by two of her grandchildren.